Saturday, December 8, 2007

Rendezvous with Roger


It would be an understatement if I said Roger Federer is my favorite player. He is simply the best and I love him. Recently, I had a chance to meet Roger and we had a gala time. Here’s a tête-à-tête with Roger, the Emperor of tennis world. Enjoy as I explore his life!!


Krishna (K): Are you REAL? What do you do to go on playing even when the audience is against you?
Roger (R): I focus even harder. I think it’s my focus that gets me through such matches. I assume you could see it very clearly when I played Agassi in the US Open final, for example.

K: Dear Roger, do you like tennis or do you love tennis?
R: I love tennis! I’ve always felt like this because it is such a classy sport with a great, competitive flair to it. There is no body contact but it is still very physical. That’s why I love it and always will...

K: Is your name pronounced the English or French way?
R: As my mother comes from South Africa, my name has always been pronounced the English way.

K: Do you have a pet name? My friend loves you. And fondly calls you Rogi. Do you like the name she has given you?
R: Rogi? Hmm….nice pet name. I kinda liked it the moment you said it. I would love to meet the person who gave me this name. Would she like to meet me?

K: Do you dream about your matches, the ones you lost and the ones you won?
R: Yes, sometimes. All other times, I just dream about Mirka. :)


K: If you weren't Roger Federer who would you like to be?
R: I’m OK with who I am!

K: Roger, Who inspired you most?
R: Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg, Michael Jordan.

K: Is there something you always carry with you for good luck, something that is very special to you?
R: Yes, a Tweety dressed like a ladybird.

K: What is your favourite ice cream flavour?
R: Strawberry

K: In your wonderful country you make wonderful Swiss chocolate. Which chocolate do you like most?
R: I love white chocolate and milk chocolate.


K: What car do you own and what is your dream car?
R: I already own my dream car :o)

K: I read that you are scared of dogs. Is this true? If so, why?
R: Actually just sometimes if I don’t know the dog. ;-)


K: All your female fans think you are the most good looking guy on the earth. What do you have to say?
R: Well, success makes you better looking. ;)

K: I’ve noticed that you wear a necklace while you play, what is on the necklace. Also what is your lucky number?
R: I have got several necklaces, most of them are presents from Mirka. My lucky number is 88 (my birthday: August 8).

K: Do you see the actual structure of tennis changing in the future due to technological advances?
R: No rule changes please. I am No. 1 with the rules in place right now! Every change would make me a horrible player and I would have to consider quitting. :))

K: Just wondering who your favourite actor and actress are.
R: Johnny Depp, Tom Cruise and Sharon Stone.

K: Roger, fans are always asking you questions, what is one question you would like to ask the fans?
R: Why do you support me and why are you my fan?

PS: Subah ho gayi mamu. Ab to uth jaa. Din mein bhi sapne dekhta hai. Ailaa…was this a dream. Sigh!! I thought I was actually interviewing Roger.

No comments: