Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Injection of Life



A day before my second semester French language exams, I was trying to gulp all that was taught in the class. The second semester had not gone well. My reputation of being a bright student had been dented. None other than Kavita Ma’m, my first semester professor, whom I had met a few days back in the corridors of AFD, told me that she was all praise for me while talking to Charu Ma’m. But Charu Ma’m told her otherwise. That I am not even 10% of what Kavita had told her. And I was all embarrassed facing Kavita. I could only muster “Don’t worry, Kavita, I’ll pass the exams.”
“Is passing exams your objective?,” replied Kavita, a little upset.
“Je suis desole. It’s not,” I said chokingly (God! Save me. She is gonna kill me now). “What not. Passing exams is not going to take you anywhere. You stupid,” Kavita scolded me.
Frankly, I was kinda shaken and stirred. I had taken the second sem lightly believing that I would anyway come out on tops in the exams. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to clear the sem. But I had promised Kavita of passing the exams. And at this moment, that was the best I could do to salvage my pride..and hers too. So, here I was slogging at the 11th hour. While I was going through my class notes, I just said to myself, “Uff…lagta hai first sem tukke mein clear ho gaya.” My brother, who was busy playing computer games, overheard my words and instantly replied, “Dost, tukke bhi achche khiladi ke hi lagte hain.”
As funny as it sounds, this is what I needed at that moment.
“Wow man! What a great thought,” I was impressed.
All my energy, which had gone on vacation, was back. Those words acted like magic and I must confess they reaffirmed my belief in myself. No wonder, I am now into my third sems (Why? I passed the exams with flying colours yaar.). And this time, I’m lovin’ it. J
At that moment, I realized how a few encouraging words said at the right time can rev up someone feeling low in life. Sometimes, when we are low on confidence, sometimes when we feel like giving up after all our hard work, a few words of encouragement from anyone can boost our morale and inject a new life into us. We need such injections to live life happily. Don’t you think so? Those few words act as elixir. Moreover, it’s not necessary that the words of encouragement come from your mentor. And, you don’t need to attend costly motivation seminars, listen to management gurus, or read motivational books to recharge your senses. It may come from anybody. Anyone surrounding you. May be an elderly person, a friend, your boss, your colleague, a stranger, or even a kid. For me, my brother was the mentor at that moment. And I am happy, I could extract something from his words. Some people have this habit of saying goods things at the most appropriate time, which has a magical effect on others. They are all around us. We just need to look for such people. We just need to separate the wheat from the chaff. So, whenever in doubt, just look around and find someone who can inject a new life into your beliefs.

No comments: