Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What's your favourite moment of the U.S. Open 2009?

So this year’s U.S. Open is over. What’s your most enduring moment of this U.S. Open? Is it Kim Clijster’s daughter Jada clutching her mother’s trophy in the finals, or Roger Federer’s eye-catching hotdog, through-the-legs winner against Novak? Is it Serena’s controversy-laden outburst at the line referee or the dennis-the-menace act of the new American teenager Melanie Oudin’s who beat 4 Russian players? For me, it was Juan Martin del Potro’s flat-on-the-back celebration after beating both Nadal and Federer back-to-back for the title. I think it was a phenomenal achievement – both mentally and physically. Nobody before has humbled both Nadal and Federer to win a grand slam and do it inside 32 hours. I think this 20-something, 6ft-6-inch guy is a real trailblazer.

Congrats to Juan Martin del Potro for winning the U.S. Open. It’s a special victory for him especially because it’s his first grand slam win and that too against his idol. DelPo has been fantastic throughout the tournament. The way he demolished Nadal on his way to the finals and rose on the occasion to beat Roger in the finals is truly remarkable for a 20-year old. Even though I am a true blue Roger fan, I admire DelPo’s win. It’s a well-deserved one. Besides, more than Roger’s loss, DelPo’s coming of age is a gain for the game of tennis. With DelPo joining the list of talented Murray, Roddick, Djokovic, and Nadal, men’s tennis again looks competitive, more than ever. I am sure we’re going to witness some great rivalry in days to come.

That said, this loss in the U.S. Open doesn’t make Roger Federer any less great. It is obvious that a player of Federer’s caliber is expected to win the moment he steps on the court. He is likened to the once-invincible Australian cricket team. But he is not infallible. He is human too.
To all the critics of Roger, who are rejoicing in Roger’s loss, I just want to remind them that this is the guy who played in 23 out of the last 24 grand slam semis, won 15 of them, and reached his sixth straight U.S. Open finals this year. I can dig out more impressive records to his name. All this is no mean achievement; it speaks of his skill, talent, and amazing fitness level. It’s the mark of a great sportsman. 2009 was a great year for him. He won 2 grand slams this year and came close to winning the third too. Lot of players would be just happy to reach the finals of one.

Roger, however, would be sad that he could not emulate Kim Clijsters – who won the U.S. Open as a working mother – to win his first grand slam as a working father. I hope the grass is still greener on Roger’s side. Allez Roger!!

Talking of Kim, I think she made the mother of all comebacks. It was a win that a lot of working mothers would appreciate and take inspiration from. For Kim Clijsters, I guess, this should be a perfect storybook ending. Coming into her third tournament after a two-year hiatus from tennis that includes getting married and having a baby, Clijster’s beat heavy odds that were against her, before finishing Venus and Serena on her way to the finals. That’s an incredible feat. And to think of it, she was unseeded here. It must be surreal for her. Hats off to Kim!

And before I sign off, I must congratulate Leander Paes for winning the doubles trophy at the U.S. Open. At the age of 36, it must be really tough for a guy to do this again and again. Happy for Leander. You are the Sachin Tendulkar of Indian tennis. Hope you go on and on...

Sidekicks: Btw, I loved Roger’s through-the-legs shot in the semi final against Novak. Amazingly done, he made it look so effortless. I bet it would rank as Roger’s best shot ever.

10 comments:

Sneha Shrivastava said...

ok.:)

Kshitij KK Khurana said...

Hey. good summarization. I dont like tennis but have to love roger. You know why :)

I dont think there are many who'd rejoice his loss; he's liked by all i guess. You seriously know someone who does not like him?

It's good to have competition there... I remember a guy I liked from last year's Aussie open.. jo wilfred tsongs...loved his match against nadal. Did he disappear after that? He was the runners up.

SO u watch F1, Tennis...and Cricket I suppose? Is that all?

Krishna said...

@Kshitij - Ya i know why u hv to like Roger. Itna to karna padta hai yaar. :))
Ya i know ppl who love to see Roger down.
Jo wilfred Tsonga (his surname sounds like tonga) is still around..but getting lost in the crowd.
I don't really follow F1. Tennis and Cricket I do. :)

Kshitij KK Khurana said...

Yah? Gud. I love cricket. I mean I feel cricket... am too attached to it. :)

Unknown said...

Yes,it's really amazing the way Del Potro thwarted his opposite and more illustrious opponents.However it remains to be seen whether he carries the same consistency which Nadal and Federer are so good at and does not become the likes of Michael Chang.

The Count of Monte Cristo said...

Talking of that through-the-legs shot, I think Fedex ran so hard and then hit just one ball while missing two. With a little more preciosion, he could have hit all the three balls (one ball hitting the other two- pool style.. hehe.. :) )

Jokes apart, rocking post!

Krishna said...

@praveen - yeah. Chang was always the proverbial would-be genius.

@blah - pool style ..haha. through-the-legs shot was still cool.
btw Mr. blah..do u just blah..blah or do u blog too? :)

The Count of Monte Cristo said...

I keep lurking at the blogs, feed the traffic counter, participate in the polls, and sometimes feel driven to blah-blah too... keep butting in with my 'not so expert comments', sometimes much to the annoyance of the blogger :)

Kshitij KK Khurana said...

kuch aur likh le bhai

The Count of Monte Cristo said...

I agree with Kshitij, Krishna.. since you cannot blah-blah as well as I can, so you better stick to blogging... :)